Representational photo. (Getty Images) A handful of prominent late withdrawals may have taken some of the sheen off the Palermo Ladies Open but the importance of the claycourt event is not lost on the sport as it marks the return of professional tennis on Monday after the COVID-19 shutdown. Plenty of exhibition events have taken place across the world since the sport was abruptly halted in early March but the women's tournament in the Sicilian capital will be the first across both the elite WTA and ATP tours in five months. WTA chief Steve Simon recently told Reuters that he hoped Palermo would provide a blueprint for tournament operations for the rest of 2020 amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The WTA
(Photo by Graham Denholm/Getty Images)NEW YORK: Top-ranked Novak Djokovic and world number two Rafael Nadal have entered the US Open tuneup tournament to be played in New York while Serena Williams is in the women's field. Organizers of the ATP and WTA Western and Southern Open, typically played in Cincinnati but moved to New York this year due to the coronavirus pandemic, announced initial singles entry lists Wednesday. The event will be staged August 20-28 in a quarantine environment without spectators at the National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, where the Grand Slam hardcourt showdown would begin August 31 in similar conditions. Djokovic, the reigning Wimbledon and Australian Open champion, and Nadal, the defending US and French Open champion, had
The two main tennis tours on Friday cancelled all of their remaining tournaments in China for this year, including the flagship WTA Finals, in the wake of the country's ban on international sporting events due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The General Administration of Sport, China's highest sporting body, announced two weeks ago that only trial events for the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics would be held in 2020. The ATP and WTA had held out hope of getting exemptions for their events as they tried to play as many tournaments as possible in an already heavily disrupted season but released statements conceding defeat within minutes of each other. "We are extremely disappointed that our world-class events in China will not take
Photo By: Clive Brunskill/Getty ImagesNEW YORK: Next month's ATP and WTA tune-up event for the US Open that was moved from Cincinnati to New York due to the coronavirus pandemic will feature 56-player draws. Details for the Western and Southern Open to be staged at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center unveiled on Thursday revealed that eight top seeds in the ATP and WTA events will have opening byes when play begins on August 22. The finals will be played on August 28, giving players a weekend off before the Flushing Meadows fortnight begins August 31, with the second Grand Slam event of 2020 set to run through September 13. No spectators will be allowed at either tournament, part
(Photo credit: Michal Cizek/Getty Images)PARIS: The Swiss Indoor tennis tournament in Basel, scheduled from October 24 to November 1, has been cancelled in the face of the coronavirus pandemic, the organisers announced Tuesday. "The ATP has officially approved the cancellation request from Basel, even though the tournament management had already declared in mid-June that it would be irresponsible and unrealistic to organise the event because of the medical, social and economic uncertainty linked to the situation," the organisers said in a statement. The organisers had said they believed a tournament with social distancing or behind closed doors was impractical. The 50th edition of the tournament, which Roger Federer has won 10 times, will take place next year from October 23-31.
MIAMI: The ATP announced a revised system for calculating the men's tennis world rankings when the coronavirus disrupted season resumes in August. Rather than the current system based on a player's "best 18" results over a 52-week period, the temporary revisions will see the rankings cover a 22-month period from March 2019-December 2020. The tour said in a statement that the system is designed to provide fairness to players across all levels of the game in parallel with the condensed number of points available after multiple tournament cancellations, the tour said in a statement. In addition, it should provide stability for players who cannot or prefer not to compete in 2020 because of health and safety concerns. The ATP believes
PARIS: Roger Federer on Monday said he is "missing" Wimbledon after the grass-court Grand Slam was cancelled, but hopes to play the tournament in 2021. The 38-year-old, who has undergone two knee surgeries this year, had already announced he will not play again until next year. This week was scheduled to be the second week of Wimbledon, where Federer has won a record eight men's singles titles, but the tournament was cancelled for the first time since World War II due to the coronavirus pandemic. "Personally, it has been very pleasant to stay in the same place for a long time, I hadn't experienced that for more than 25 years," Federer said at the launch of the "Roger Center Court"
PARIS: American Frances Tiafoe on Saturday joined the list of tennis players to contract coronavirus. Ranked 81st in the ATP rankings Tiafoe has had to pull out of an exhibition event in Atlanta open to the public. "Unfortunately, I tested positive late Friday for COVID-19 and have to withdraw from the All-American Team Cup special event this weekend," the 22-year-old posted on Twitter. "Over the past two months, I have been training in Florida and tested negative there as recently as a week ago." Tiafoe's announcement follows the slew of players who contracted COVID-19 after appearing at Novak Djokovic's exhibition event in the Balkans last month. World number one Djokovic, Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki all tested positive
NEW DELHI: India's Davis Cup tie against Finland was on Friday postponed to 2021 as the International Tennis Federation (ITF) pushed back all the matches, including the Finals in Madrid, to next year owing to COVID-19 pandemic. India were scheduled to travel to Finland for the World Group I tie in September but now the tie will be played either in March or September next year. The ITF's decision has come days after four of the world's leading tennis players, including number one Novak Djokovic, tested positive for the dreaded virus following their participation in exhibition matches in Serbia and Croatia. "The decision to postpone the event comes following a three-month review of the considerable logistical and regulatory challenges that
MUMBAI: The men's tennis tour has joined up with Sporting Chance and Headspace to help players and its staff deal with mental health problems and look after their well-being during the COVID-19 shutdown, the ATP said on Wednesday. The professional tennis season was halted in early March due to the pandemic and will remain suspended until at least the end of July, depriving lower-level players who depend solely on tournament winnings of the chance to earn a living. With no clarity on when the sport can resume again, many players have been left anxious as they struggle to cope with the uncertainty that lies ahead. "Being mentally strong is just as important as physical strength in tennis and looking after the mental health