(Representative image)NEW DELHI: The government is reviewing around 50 investment proposals involving Chinese companies under a new screening policy, three sources familiar with the matter told Reuters. Under new rules announced in April, all investments by entities based in neighboring countries need to be approved by the government, whether for new or additional funding. China is the biggest of these investors and the rules drew criticism from Chinese investors and Beijing, which called the policy discriminatory. The new investment rules were aimed at curbing opportunistic takeovers during the coronavirus outbreak. However, industry executives say a deterioration in bilateral relations since a clash along the countries’ contested border last month, in which 20 Indian soldiers were killed, could further delay approvals.
WASHINGTON: India's ban on 59 Chinese apps, including the popular TikTok, has been widely noted in the US, including by some prominent lawmakers, who have urged the American government to follow suit as it is believed that the short video-sharing app is a major security risk to the country. India on Monday banned 59 apps with Chinese links, including TikTok and UC Browser, saying they were prejudicial to sovereignty, integrity and security of the country. The ban, which comes in the backdrop of India's current stand-off along the Line of Actual control in Ladakh with Chinese troops, is also applicable for WeChat and Bigo Live. “India bans TikTok and dozens of other Chinese apps in the wake of deadly clash,”
The government of India’s decision to ban 59 Chinese apps has stirred quite a reaction from various quarters. Popular apps like TikTok, UCBrowser, WeChat are amongst the list and some of them were widely used by the people of the country. Ever since the coronavirus pandemic and the lockdown that followed has changed the way many professionals work. Technology has played a pivotal role — be it work from home or online classes or digital payments. Certain experts feel that this could be the ideal opportunity for Indian startups and perhaps their time to shine. Vijay Shekhar Sharma, CEO and founder Paytm, said that this could bring a “digital revolution.” He took to Twitter and said, “Bold step in the
(File photo)BEIJING: China said on Tuesday it was concerned about India's decision to ban Chinese mobile apps such as Bytedance's TikTok and Tencent's WeChat and was making checks to verify the situation. Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told reporters during a daily briefing that India has a responsibility to uphold the rights of Chinese businesses. India on Monday banned 59, mostly Chinese, mobile apps in its strongest move yet targeting China in the online space since a border crisis erupted between the two countries this month. The Indian IT ministry said the apps "are engaged in activities ... prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order".
NEW DELHI: Off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin took a funny dig at Australian opener David Warner as India banned TikTok and 58 other Chinese mobile applications. The creative and funny side of Warner came to the fore during the lockdown amid the Covid-19 pandemic when he joined TikTok and started sharing fun-filled videos almost every day on Instagram. Ever since joining it in April, the southpaw has shared numerous videos wherein he can be seen dancing to various Indian songs on TikTok along with his family. And as India banned the mobile applications on Monday, Ashwin sledged the Australian opener on Twitter, saying, "Appo Anwar? David Warner" -- a dialogue from superstar actor Rajnikant's 1995 Tamil film 'Baashha' -- which roughly translates
NEW DELHI: Social media app TikTok has been removed from the app stores in a bid to curb downloads after the government ordered to block as many as 59 apps owned or backed by the Chinese. A search for the app done on Tuesday morning showed no results on both Apple App Store and Google Play Store. The Modi government on Monday “blocked” as many as 59 apps, including popular ones such as TikTok, UC Browser, WeChat, Shareit and CamScanner for “engaging in activities which are prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order”. The Centre said, without naming China, that “targeted move” against the “malicious apps … used in mobile and
BEIJING/ DELHI: PM Narendra Modi’s June 18 speech to chief ministers as well as the comments by the spokesperson of the ministry of foreign affairs have been deleted from two Chinese social media accounts, including Weibo. This follows the face-off between the Indian and Chinese armies in the Galwan Valley in Ladakh on Monday. Modi’s remarks on June 18 about the Indian soldiers killed in the Galwan Valley clash has become inaccessible on WeChat. The page says that the content has been deleted by the author, whereas Indian embassy officials said they have not removed it. Indian embassy officials in Beijing said the transcript of the remarks of the MEA spokesman Anurag Srivastava were found to have been removed from
BEIJING: Indian embassy officials here have said the speech of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to chief ministers on June 18 as well as the comments by the spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs have been deleted from two Chinese social media accounts, including Weibo. The move comes in the backdrop of the violent face-off between the Indian and Chinese armies in the Galwan Valley in eastern Ladakh on Monday in which 20 Indian military personnel were killed, significantly escalating the already volatile situation in the region. Indian Embassy officials said the transcript of the remarks of the MEA spokesman Anurag Srivastava were found to have been removed from the Embassy's account of Sina Weibo on June 18. After that