BEIJING: China said on Monday that it would retaliate against US moves to punish officials tied to political crackdowns in Hong Kong by imposing visa restrictions on Americans it considers to have “performed badly” on matters regarding the semi-autonomous Chinese territory. Foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian gave no details in making the announcement at a daily briefing. It wasn't clear if the measure targeted only US government officials or those in the private sector as well. It comes as China's legislature is expected to pass a national security law for Hong Kong on Tuesday that critics say will severely limit opposition politics and freedom of speech in the city. The US says it will respond by ending favourable trading terms
NEW DELHI: Even as India and China held another round of diplomatic talks on the border issue, Beijing on Wednesday stepped up its offensive by reiterating its claims over the Galwan Valley and holding Indian troops entirely responsible for the June 15 clashes. Accusing Indian troops of breaching basic norms “governing international relations”, China said their adventurous acts were of a “vile nature” and will have “severe consequences”. Both the Chinese defence and foreign ministries said the Galwan Valley was on the Chinese side. The foreign ministry also accused India’s ministry of external affairs and Indian media of issuing “false reports” about recent developments in Galwan Valley. The Indian side didn’t officially respond to the allegations which came a day
BEIJING: Chinese and Indian armies have arrived at a consensus on the "outstanding issues" between them and agreed to take necessary measures to "cool down" the situation at their borders, the Chinese Foreign Ministry announced on Tuesday. On Monday, Lt Gen Harinder Singh, the commander of the 14 Corps, held a nearly 11-hour meeting with Commander of the Tibet Military District Maj Gen Liu Lin in an attempt to lower the temperature between the two sides. The talks were held in the midst of escalating tension between the two countries following the violent clashes in Galwan Valley last week that left 20 Indian Army personnel dead. The commanders level meeting was held on June 22 and the two sides exchanged
BEIJING: China's foreign ministry said on Tuesday that China and India have agreed to take measures to ease tensions along a disputed stretch of their border, where a clash last week left 20 Indian soldiers dead. Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian also described recent media reports of 40 Chinese casualties in the conflict as "fake news".
China on Thursday remained evasive about the number of casualties suffered by it in the Galwan valley clash and also on the role of its troops. It didn't respond to queries on reports that it was building a dam on the Galwan river on the border to obstruct its flow. Asked about allegations that Indian soldiers were brutally attacked with iron rods and spikes by Chinese soldiers, foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian reiterated China's allegation, squarely blaming Indian troops for the incident. “The right and wrong of this case is very clear and responsibility doesn't lie with the Chinese side,” he said.